Sunday 22 November 2015

My Personal Journal

I've never had a journal, and that was because I didn't think I needed one and as a result of that thought there was going to be no benefit to me at all.

I am wrong on all counts, for one I do in fact keep a journal (although not exactly in written form, more of a reflective look back using my own memory) to help me develop as a professional not only as a musician but also as an engineer. It helps not only prevent me from making the same mistakes but also to develop and improve on ideas that may have already been successful, but could still be improved in one way or another.

Writing a journal helps to break down situations in a format that can be understood easily, and the way I am experimenting with doing that is simply to detail the events that took place and then analyze them point by point with notes for improvement. If there are no immediate ideas for improvement (for example, if more research needs to be done) then it is marked for a follow up in the same way as flagging an email in your inbox or sticking a note to your fridge for example.

To honour the privacy of others and sensitive information I keep all names and details fairly ambiguous, and hopefully it will provide a new perspective on my professional development going forward.

3 comments:

  1. looking fro more blogs Darren - have you formed a SIG with Dan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just added a blog, apologies for being a bit slack! I started a new job in a school and I'm being run ragged... Have a read and let me know what you think :-)

    ReplyDelete